Baobab is native to tropical Africa, a tree of the family Bombacaceae, called the "Magic Tree", "the Tree of the pharmacist", or also "the Tree of Life". It can grow up to 20 meters with a trunk diameter of up to 38 meters. It is impressive with its gigantic dimensions, but also beneficial effects on the human body.
All parts of the Baobabu can be used for their therapeutic and nutritional effects: roots, leaves, strain, bark, pulp, seeds. The flesh is also called "Monkey Bread", has a kyslastú taste similar to lemon or dried raisins. mixed with water or thickened milk can be eaten as a refreshing and energetic beverage.
Nutritional composition of the Baobabu:
The rich source of vitamin C-fetus Baobabu is one of the richest sources of vitamin C in the world. Its pulp contains up to 7x more vitamin C than one orange. 100g fresh pulp Baobabu contains 300mg of vitamin C, with orange containing 40mg per 100g.
A rich source of calcium-100g of young dried or heat-treated leaves Baobabu ensure the necessary daily dose of calcium, contain up to 2x more than milk.
High fiber-100g pulp baobabu contains approximately 44g iron, which is 9x more than dried plums.
Protein source-100g pulp has 2, 3g proteins. However, Baobabu seeds contain up to 48% of proteins.
The dried leaves of baobabu are manufactured with a powder that we can use to produce an energy or vitamin drink, adding it to water, tea, coffee, hot chocolate. We can also add it to soups, sauces, main dishes, desserts or yogurt. It is also suitable for smoothie production, for example to prepare this exotic smoothie: 5g baobabového powder, mixed with 10g of coconut powder, 1/2 pineapple, 1 banana, add 100ml of water and rozmixujeme.
The recommended daily dose of baobabového powder for adults is 5 to 10g. It is not recommended to consume more than 20g a day for its laxative effects.
Beneficial effects of baobabového powder:
- Helps maintain the level of some nutritional values in the body-Baobab contains fibre, vitamins C, A, B1, B2, calcium, potassium and manganese,
- It is a source of energy-it is recommended to consume it in the period of recovery and increased sport activity for its rapid regeneration skills,
- A significant source of antioxidants-mainly due to the amount of vitamin C that contains. Baobab has the strength to prevent harmful reactions in the body, protects the cells from aging and prevents disease,
- Fights against constipation-is rich in fiber, from which is 50% soluble and 50% insoluble. Baobab is actively involved in the function of the digestive tract, it helps with constipation, but also diarrhea. Already 100g Baobabu ensures the necessary daily dose of nutrients,
- Reduces the "bad" cholesterol – by partially preventing the absorption of cholesterol from food,
- It has a beneficial effect on bones – thanks to the fact that Baobab is rich in both calcium and iron, has a beneficial impact on the strength and stiffness of the bones and tooth enamel. It also suitably acts on the clotting of blood, muscle contraction and proper functioning of the nervous system,
- Fights against hunger-the seeds of Baobabu are rich in linoleic acid (Omega 6) and oily oil acids that help maintain the level of good cholesterol in the blood and promote a sense of satiety,
- Natural drug-Baobab has strong healing properties thanks to vitamin C, which accelerates healing, helps to absorb iron contained in plants and vitamin B2, which has beneficial effects on tissue repair.
In addition to its rich use in the kitchen is also suitable for cosmetic purposes. It has a cleansing effect due to its antimicrobial active ingredients. Its rich content of vitamin C guarantees exceptional properties against aging, restores and regenerates the skin. Its anti-inflammatory agents help soothe and relax the skin.
Tip for Regenerative mask: 3 KL ground oat flakes mixed with 1 kl baobabového powder. Add lukewarm water and stir to create a smooth paste. Leave to rest for about 10 minutes until the paste starts a little dry. Carefully rinse it with clean water and then apply to the skin. The mask can be stored for maximum 48h in the refrigerator.
Another product that we can get from Baobabu is oil.
Baobabový powder can be ordered here